FiltaFry Anyone doing it?
Team Sobaco
2004-12-15 01:39:57 UTC
Anyone know anything about this business?
sonytv
2004-12-25 15:00:33 UTC
FiltaFry is a scam. It's organized so the franchisees work their ass off
at dirt cheap labor rates, and pay huge royalties to their headquarters
for providing very limited value.

In their initial presentation, they will have you visit one of their
franchisees and even go around with them. This person is told to provide
you with information, like how profitable and great the business concept
is.

There are a few big problems though. If you read the contract, you will
notice that the HQ is permitted to sign national accounts with anyone they
wish; even your current existing clients (and you have to provide them
with all contact information to each of your customers). National
accounts pay an additional percentage to the HQ since they bill the
customer for you. They also are able to negotiate the rate on your behalf
and if they negotiate a rate you don't like, they may appoint someone else
(including themselves) to serve the customers within your protected
region. As a result, protected territories are meaningless. And once
they bill your client, it takes over 30 days to get paid. If you were to
bill your clients, you would receive 100% of the payment within 30 days.
But when they bill your clients, you get less than 90% on net 60 or net 90
day terms! That is surely a long time to wait for payment.

Additionally, the prospectus they issue is supposed to list all the people
who have purchased a franchise, provide their contact information, and
list the status of that franchise buyer (whether they are active or not).
A number of the bankrupt operators are not listed. The few companies that
are listed and no longer in business, claim to have removed their contact
information by request of the franchisee. This is usually administered by
the franchisor suggesting to the franchisee that if they request to have
their contact information removed, they can provide them with some other
benefit to make their bankruptcy a little less hurtful. In any event,
providing and suggesting a false success rate is illegal.

I could go on, but the best thing to do is book a flight to Florida and
visit the con-man CEO himself, Mr Clewes. Talk with him, go on a few
routes, get all the contractual information in writing, and go back home.
Talk to your local restaurants and see what kind of demand exists.
Determine what you will be paid and how much in fees you have to pay out.
This business opportunity will suddenly reveal to you that it isn't as
profitable as it is hyped to be.
Indy1234
2005-01-06 14:40:17 UTC
sonytv-
you may be correct, but could you give a little background on any
contact/negative experience you had with FiltaFry? I'm researching the
company & very interested to hear any actual interaction you had with
them. Thanks.
m***@beeb.net
them. Thanks.
Indy1234
2005-01-10 11:49:41 UTC
mikedavid,

you just copied my post? what were you trying to say about FiltaFry?
thanks.
m***@beeb.net
2005-01-10 15:48:12 UTC
I bought into the Filtafry franchise and almost everything sonytv says
is correct. Before buying I was advised that I would start trading with
a number a guaranteed acccounts which never materialised. In fact
almost everything that I was advised of in my initial meetings proved
to be false. Morale with the franchisees is very bad and unlike most
franchises, filtafry franchisees are actively discouraged from speaking
to one another. The hours are very unsocial and some national accounts
(which you have to visit) are serviced at 4.00am. Filtafry sell the
franchise as oil filtration but it is in fact a cleaning service,
customers use Filtafry to have their fryers cleaned and this is hard
graft. Filtafry treat franchisees as employees not as partners or
investors. The memos that come down from head office are abrubt and
never up for discusion. In short I can think of no redeeming features
for this franchise.
unknown
2005-01-23 16:39:51 UTC
PaperMan
2005-01-30 23:38:57 UTC
Took a hit from Vic.

I am making a good profit from FiltaFry and I know many others who are
doing the same.

You need to look at yourself, not the FiltaFry system. If you're willing
to work, and have half a brain, you can make money.
fatcontroller
2005-02-10 19:35:47 UTC
Post by PaperMan
Took a hit from Vic.
I am making a good profit from FiltaFry and I know many others who are
doing the same.
You need to look at yourself, not the FiltaFry system. If you're willing
to work, and have half a brain, you can make money.
Hi, Matey

Can you tell me how long you have been in the filtafry franchise?

Do you know that the current Health & Saftey states that Nobody can
discard hot oil from deep fat fryers above the temprature of 40c. to
which this ia a daily part of the service. when People buy into this
franchise the sales people from filtafry ltd do not tell you this. So
if under current Health & Saftey how can you run a bussiness which
breaks health & safety, and the insurance of which we all have.

your comments are awaited
Indy1234
2005-01-10 11:52:58 UTC

thanks.
PaperMan
2005-01-16 15:24:09 UTC
I too own a filtafry franchise and think CA819 is right. The rewards you
get out are directly related to the effort you put in.

There is a great deal of help available from corporate and I am in contact
with succesful franchise filtafry owners all the time.

Indy1234... if you want a guaranteed pay check at the end of each week...
get a job. If you're willing to work and build your business... buy a
franchise. I recommend filtafry but if you feel it's not for you, try
another one. The main thing is to have the right attittude.
PaperMan

sonytv
2005-02-28 02:56:21 UTC
As you have read from the posts here, there are a few limited number of
success stories. If you look at the England franchisees, you will notice
many, many more success stories. The problem is that the creators of the
system took a legitimate and workable program, loaded it with so many
hidden costs, that they have the ability to decide whether they want to
make you "sink or swim". The last time I checked, franchise fees were
substancially lower in England than in the US.

Mr. Clewes laughed at how he got several wealthy people to invest in
multiple territories, accelerated the opening of each market, and watched
them go bankrupt. By doing this, he was able to collect franchise fees,
make money off equipment and supplies, and was then able to resell the
territories to the next victim. He reasoned to me that since these people
were very wealthy, he didn't feel bad about doing it. Mr. Clewes is a
very wealthy man too. Does this mean it is okay to take advantage of him
as well?

There are all kinds of little fees that Filta can hit you with too. You
have internet usage fees (which is really insane for their primitive
"corporate site"), overly inflated equipment and supplies that you have to
purchase from the company on a monthly basis, and fees that keep on
increasing even if your business volume doesn't.

I'm not saying the idea doesn't work, because I know it does. The few
operators in the US are proof that it works. But what these operators
don't realize is that by paying these insane overhead and franchise costs,
they are basicly working for someone else; or at least might as well since
they don't have any security but have all the risk.

Mr. Clewes is a very smart man. He has managed to attract people who are
affraid to go into business for themselves, and provides them with a very
small level of encouragementand false sense of security.

In our conversation, he told me how much he admired cleaning company
franchises that just give you a bucket and a mop and collect franchise
fees for doing so. He equated FiltaFry with this type of operation, and
in essence you are doing the same thing... cleaning fryers.

What I found amusing was that Mr. Clewes doesn't know the true power of
his filtration system. He told me his filters down to 10 microns. In
reality, they supposedly filter down to 1 micron... or so they tell their
franchisees. Competing filtrators that are available in the US and abroad
can filter to less than .5 microns. Therefore his oil cleaner is
inferior. And to top it off, you can buy cooking oil cleaners for 1/5 of
what he charges and that goes for the disposable filters too.

If you feel you are a true entrepreneur, do your market research in your
local area, buy the equipment yourself, and jump in on your own.

If you go the Filta way, I wish you the best, and know that if you are
crafty, tough skinned, and determined, it is possible you won't go
bankrupt. But you could have been much wealthier if you went it alone.
Remember, the CEO said it himself.... it is just like giving a franchisee
a bucket and a mop and saying get to work.

Good Luck.

CA819
2005-01-14 13:24:05 UTC
I am a FiltaFry Franchise Owner and disagree completely with the other two
comments.

My business has expanded quicker than expected and I’m on track to put
more vans on the road right now.

The only thing that stops you building your business is you. If you want
everything to be done for you… get a job. It’s your own business and it’s
up to you to build it.

I’ve spoken with many successful Franchise Owners and some that are not
building very quickly. The common denominator with the successful ones is
the determination shown. OK, it can be hard work… but what do you expect…
it’s your own business.

FiltaFry, especially Victor Clewes, have done everything they said they
would… and more.

If you spent as much time building your business as you do writing
comments in discussion groups, I’m sure you could be successful too.
CA819

unknown
2005-01-23 17:09:56 UTC
I do...it's a scam, period. Filta is the only one that will make a decent
profit off of this "system", not the franchisee. I know because I did it.
You'll probably make more money if you buy oil futures right now ( gee
isn't gasoline expensive?) Forget it and keep looking, let my loss be your
gain.